Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Running to Reality.

Today I decided to go for a run. It has been way too long since I've ran and I am determined to get back to running consistently! As soon as I turned up my music and started to run I realized how much I had missed it. Running is simply an escape from reality. The stresses and demands of life are momentarily erased from my brain and I can run far, far away from everything. But then I was hit with a thought.

If I'm running away from reality, where am I running to? I don't want to run so far that I find myself lost in the midst of nothing but a whole lot of emptiness.

I closed my eyes (this is probably a good time to mention I was running on my treadmill) and listened to the music coming from my headphones. I was no longer focusing on running far away from the realities of my little world, but instead found myself running harder and faster towards the reality of my life in Christ. I usually make it a point to listen to upbeat positive Christian music when I run. That way not only am I being motivated to keep going until my run is over, but I'm also being motivated to push myself harder to be the person God wants me to be. I realized that my time running shouldn't only be a time to escape the realities of daily stresses, but more importantly it should be a time to run towards and reflect on my ultimate reality; and that is living a life pleasing to God.

How do you spend your time running? Do you listen to certain music, think about important decisions that need to be made? I challenge you to use it as a time to reflect on how you can push yourself to live a life that will further please the Lord! Spend time in prayer and talk to God. You'll be happy you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment