Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Love 24/7.

I'm not going to lie...I love Valentines Day. It's a time to let others know they are loved. Not to mention, I get to eat abnormal amounts of chocolate and wear pink...honestly, there is no better combination.

Even though Valentines Day can be fun, it's also that time of year where everyone seems to be measuring their worth by how much chocolate they receive or how many heart-shaped cards are in their mailbox. Ridiculous right? Maybe...but so incredibly true.

I've been there...that 16-year-old girl who was the only single girl alive. All my friends walking around with their boxes of chocolate and new jewelry strung around their necks. Oh, and of course their men right at their side. Nothing changes as we get older...I mean heck, I'm still that girl...just a few pounds heavier and with more wear and tear on this heart. Even though girls go the extra mile to make sure everyone knows how much they hate this holiday, we all know honey, that if your boyfriend doesn't buy you flowers tomorrow you will probably never let him live it down.


Some of us are in relationships...and celebrating Valentines day with your loved one should be special.

Some of us are in relationships but may be having problems...and in that case Valentines Day might cause an unbearable ache in your heart.

Some of us are single and Valentines Day might cause feelings of worthlessness.

People, I have experienced all three of these varieties. Which makes me wonder...if Valentines Day causes all these different emotions for people, something isn't right.

Why do we feel like February 14th is the only day we can celebrate love? Why do we feel that if we can't show love to a man than we can't show love to anyone?

There are 364 other days besides February 14th and whoever proclaimed that love was not important on those days is an idiot. Whoever proclaimed that love can only be celebrated between couples is an idiot. Whoever proclaimed that you're unworthy of love if you don't receive flowers or chocolate is an idiot.



Valentines Day is a great reminder to celebrate and show love, but we shouldn't let is burden us. If you're single like me, don't despair. I have a date set with one of my girl friends to go see a chick flick and get some dinner. I'm making cute cards for some of my friends to let them know how much I love and appreciate them. I may not have a special someone in my life...but I have plenty of other people I love dearly and I plan on letting them know it...not just tomorrow, but every day. Don't let the words February 14th scare or nauseate you. It's just a day. Enjoy it.


Go love.
Go eat chocolate.


No comments:

Post a Comment